I have seen the popularity of meal delivery services increase lately and I completely understand why. Our lives are busy and we need faster and easier, especially when it comes to dinner time.
To be honest I have been skeptical of these services, not really sure if it would be a fit for my family. Recently I had the opportunity to try Blue Apron and it gave me a new found appreciation of what meal delivery can really offer.
If you are like me and wondering if these services are too good to be true or even a good fit for you at all than I have something that can help.
Here are are eight things you need to know before you decide to start your meal delivery subscription:
1. It is actually fresh – when my Blue Apron Box arrived I was shocked with how it was packaged with ice packs keeping all the food fresh. When I opened the bag the first thing I reached for was the kale. I was shocked. It was crisp and fresh and down right delicious
2. It’s not fast food – everything is pre-portioned which does cut down on some time but you still have to commit time to cooking. My Blue Apron box came with fresh ingredients which I had to prepare with the recipe they gave. Yes it’s more work than just popping a lasagne in the oven but I would rather do the extra work to have a fresh, healthy and restaurant quality meal. With that being said I liked having the items measured out and I do feel like my cooking time would be double if I had to search my kitchen and portion out everything I needed.
3. Less waste – You wont be throwing away unused veggies or extra sauce because Blue Apron only provides what you need.
4. You don’t need a lot of cooking experience – I am not the best cook so that was one of my main apprehensions. The directions were detailed and clear and easy to understand. I actually learned a few new techniques that I will continue to use in the future.
5. You won’t be hungry – I get worried when meals are preportioned. My husband and I can eat and if I am going to spend the time to make something delicious I want to make sure I have enough. With my Blue Apron meal I had plenty of food to feed my husband and myself. With each meal I had a happy, full belly.
6. Have your dishwasher ready – the meals are of the gourmet kind (which i love) so there are a few more steps and that means a few more items to clean.
7. Be prepared to step outside the box – this was my favorite thing about Blue Apron, the recipes were like nothing I’ve made before. As a mom who makes mac n cheese on repeat I love that I am making something that I’ve never made before.
8. You can feel good about your meal – My Blue Apron meal was convenient and easy to prepare but best of all it was delicious and healthy. It gets better. Blue Apron uses fresh and locally-sourced ingredients that promote sustainable practices and reduce food waste so your tummy and your heart can be happy.
Overall I was really happy with my Blue Apron meals. I plan to continue to have them delivered each week to help me save time with fewer visits to the grocery store.
Have you tried Blue Apron? I would love to hear some of your favorite recipes.
Click Here to check out whats on the menu this week and leave a comment telling me which is your favorite.