Each year I search and search for the perfect gifts for my girls. This doesn’t always mean the newest and coolest toys. My search consists of careful consideration of what is needed and useful, as well as fun too. As I think of quality over quantity I am reminded that during this season of giving, more is not always better. I tried to implement this in my gift guide for little girls this year.
Each year we practice a way of gifting that helps us really stay focused on what is important. The girls receive just 4 gifts from us.
Something they want
Something they need
Something they wear
Something they read
We have implemented this for a few years now (read last years gift guide here) and it works so well for us. The girls aren’t overwhelmed with presents that they don’t even realize what they have, Each gift is carefully picked for each girl and that tends to lead to a Christmas morning that is filled with joy and appreciation,.
This year when creating my gifts guide for little girls I wanted to be sure that I only shared things that me and my girls truly love or items that are on their list this year. These are items that we believe in and fit in our message of practicing a minimalist approach this holiday.
- Fingerlings – I went from having no idea what this thing was to hearing about this toy every single day. I wanted to add this tp my list first because I want to make clear that although I do try my hardest to buy intentional and useful gifts I also don’t want to take all the fun out of it for my kids. I do listen to them and what they ask for and as long as it isn’t something completely wasteful I try to make it happen for them (in moderation). This year a fingerling is the thing they are talking about so mama has a few stashed in her closet 😉
- Kids apron – My oldest daughter loves to help in the kitchen and so I thought it would be a great idea to get her this beautiful apron as well as some of her own cooking supplies so she can be the true chef she knows she is. I love this gift idea because it really falls into the “experience” category that I share more on below.
- Little Feminist puzzle – My 4 year old is really into puzzles right now. Sometimes I find her sitting by herself, working on one, and it makes my heart happy. Puzzles are so great for little brains. When I saw this one I knew it would be perfect. The puzzle that she loves and learning about famous women from history, double win.
- Unicorn bank – This gift is fun and functional. As my girls get older and start to understand the importance of money they need somewhere to stash their savings. This is going to make my little unicorn lovers so happy.
- Cuddle and Kind doll – Its no surprise that we love our Cuddle and Kind dolls. Not only are they gorgeous, but the company has an amazing philanthropy behind it. They donate meals to children in need for every doll purchased. If feel good to know that I am also giving back with my holiday shopping this year.
- Magnetic calendar – Here is another school item hidden as something fun. My girls love moving the pieces and putting in important dates.
- Tea set – my girls love to have tea parties and this set is just too cute and great quality.
- Hunter boots – These boots have been on every gift guide I have ever made and there is a really good reason. I don’t think there are one pair of shoes that my kids love to wear more than their hunter boots. They are such great quality that I pass them down and they are really easy for them to put on by themselves (which is perfect for our busy days)
- Osmo Learning set – This is one of our big gifts this year because I have heard nothing but amazing things about it. It is a learning program for your iPad. Puzzles, games, art activities and my daughter even saw a fashion program that caught her attention. I love anything that tells my girls that learning is fun and helps them do more of what they love.
- Vintage sweaters – I am always on the search for unique styles for my girls. Over are the days of cutsie characters or an over abundance of rhinestones. When I shop for my girls I always ask myself “would I wear that?” and when I shop at Stylin Sophie the answer is normal “YES!”
- Rosie Revere Engineer – I had so many books I wanted to include in my read section this year. I am kind of book obsessed and am always looking for beautiful illustrations and inspiring messages and this book has just that. With a message of encouraging young girls to look at STEM professions, this book is a favorite.
- Magnatiles – Another MUST! Out of any Christmas present I have ever given my girls this is the gift that is probably played with the most. I know the pricing can be a little high but I promise you will get your money back in quiet afternoons of castle building.
- Ada Twist Scientist – Just like the book mentioned above this beautiful book showcases strong female characters and promotes the idea that you can be and do anything. A really beautiful book for your little girl or boy.
- Shop RoleeJo Bows – Not all bows are crated equal, after 6 years and 3 girls Ive learned this to be true. Shop RoleeJo bows are not only beautiful but they hold up really well. Plus they just launched a bohemian style bow holder that has to be my favorite piece in my girls bedroom.
- Rey to Z personalized Hat – When thinking of what “wear” items I was going to include in this list I wanted to make sure I was thinking of those really practical items that my girls love to wear. That is where these hats come in. We love our Rey to Z hats and we get complimented on them everywhere we do. I love that they are personalized and have that really classic look. I even have one for me too! Use code BLINKS20 for 20% your order.
- Instax – this has been on my daughters wishlist for years and I finally think she is at the age where she can really appreciate it.
- Iloveplum tutu – every little girl needs a tutu and these are our fav!
- Craft kit – I love this kit and how it comes already organized.
- Microphone – perfect for our nightly talent show
More “Wear” Favorites:
- ZooTampa Passes
- Gift cards to favorite restaurant or sweet shops
- Little Global citizens subscription
- Florida Aquarium Passes
- Bowling/roller or ice skating/ mini golf
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- Playgrounds/indoor bounce park
More “Want” Favorites:
- KaZAM v2s No Pedal Balance Bike – Making sure you pick the appropriate bike for your child is so important. Building a strong foundation of skills and confidence not only helps them learn to ride a bike but helps them fall in love with bike riding. Edith is still a little young for a pedal bike and so this year she is getting this awesome balance bike. This is a great introductory bike to help your little one who still wants to ride but can’t master the pedaling just yet. Once she builds her confidence she will be ready for a more traditional bicycle.
- KaZAM Mini Trike – This is the perfect size for Hazel (1 yo) and now she can feel just like her big sisters this Christmas. Plus this is the cutest! I love the classic style and it comes in a variety of colors. We still want Hazel to be included in our family rides I am also getting her the ibert seat so she can sit right on my handle bars and enjoy the view.
- Play Kitchen – We have had this play kitchen for years and it is one of the most played with itmes in our house. This is a great investment that your kids will use for years.
- Barbie Camper – We actually didn’t get this for Christmas but its a great gift idea none the less. This is the transformers of Barbie toys, all kinds of pop outs and ways to change it around.
- Doll House – My girls love this house and its big enough to use with their barbies. This doll house is a big one so you will for sure get the wow factor on Christmas morning.
- Trampoline – I was really hesitant to get a trampoline for my kids. I felt like it was just asking for injury but this trampoine is small enough that they can’t really launch into the air and I love it has the protective sides. if watch my Instagram stories you know my girls are on this every single day.
- Baby Doll High Chair – A fun accessory for your little mama. Hazel loves this and is always bringing her babies bananas 🙂
- Outdoor Play House – This is one of my favorite Santa gifts. It is adorable and the girls play with it all the time. I am actually really impressed with how its held up for the last two years since it sits outside in all the elements. I hope to paint it one day to have it the same color as our house.
More “need” Favorites:
- Beddy’s Bedding – Both my big girls have bedding from Beddy’s and I have to tell you that it is the best invention ever. Not only are the designs beatiful but the comforter zips up each side to make making your bed so easy. My girls love zipping their beds each morning and I love that their bed is made. I am so impressed by how soft and comfortable the fabric is and I love the comfort panels that make the comforter extra long on the sides. This is my top pick on my “need” list because I am so incredibly impressed with this bedding and I really believe this is something every mom needs for their kids. **COUPON** Use code CHRISTMAS2017 for 20% off
- Dishes, Utensils and Cups – I feel like we always need to stock up on these each year and christmas is the perfect time to do it. I recently fell in love with Re-Play Recycled. Such great quality, easy to clean and really durable compared to ones I’ve used in the past. They make their dishes from recycled milk jugs and I love the fact they are helping the environment as well. These are basically one of the only dishes we use now, we love them so much.
- Backpacks – these are such versatile gifts. We use them for so many things and I love that my girls can be responsible for their own things. I picked these Princess backpacks because they are a bit bigger to hold more items for our upcoming trip to North Carolina.
- Bath items – This can be anything from shampoo and condtiotioner to a cute hooded towel. We also like to get them new toothbrushes, bubble bath and bath paints for their stocking.
- lunchbox – This lunchbox is amazing and I have been wanting one for years. Now that I have it we use it all the time. Its the best on the market in my opinion and we all fight to use it so this Christmas we are adding another one to our family collection.
- Essentials – maybe you are traveling and need a new umbrella stroller or maybe your little one has outgrown their car seat. Use this opportunity to gift something that you really need.
Check out some of my past gift guides here:
Some of the product links on this site are affiliate links. That means that if you purchase something from these links The Gray Ruby Diaries receives a commission. The Gray Ruby Diaries occasionally receives free products and payment to feature items on this site. I take a lot of pride in endorsing products I love and I hope you trust that I would never let payment get in the way of sharing my favorite products with you. Thank you again for reading and hope you enjoy!