This year, as I started my holiday shopping, I realized I had a lot of postpartum mothers in my life. This got me thinking about my three births and what I learned along the way.
There were so many things that saved me after my third birth that I wish I knew after my first two. That is why I put together this little list.
So maybe you have a postpartum mother in your life you want to buy for or maybe you are preparing for the upcoming arrival of your sweet little one. Either way, I hope this list helps and gives you a little insight into what items I found to be helpful those wonderful yet difficult postpartum months.
- Support leggings – I fell in love with these leggings after Hazel’s birth and I would wear them everyday if I could. I still wear them! I really disliked the feeling of all the loose skin after baby and this helped keep it all in. I loved how it covered me when I would have to lift my shirt to nurse as well.
- Nipple balm – I didn’t have much of an issue but those first few weeks breastfeeding can be brutal. This was by far my favorite brand.
- Finess – After baby you might notice a little cough or laugh could lead to some wet undies. Finess is discreet and comfortable temporary solution for stress urinary incontinence (SUI). It fits right over your urethra and you won’t have to worry leaks when you are wearing it. Read more about Finess in my post “What other moms don’t tell you about your postpartum body”
- Bamboobies – In those early weeks of breastfeeding you can almost always expect to leak. No one wants to be embarrassed with a wet spot on their shirt so I always used pads. Disposable can be uncomfortable and get expensive and that is why I really loved this reusable version.
- Lactation bars – I really loved the taste of THESE and I loved that I could grab them for an easy breakfast on the go.
- Pjs/robe – Treat yourself to some comfy loungewear because during those first few weeks after baby you will home a lot. I love these pieces because they were comfortable and I didn’t look like a total slob when the amazon delivery guy showed up at my doorstep
- Nursing tanks – I lived in these for months. I really like them for two reasons. First they were great layering pieces and second they were more comfortable than a traditional nursing bra. Stock up on these, you can thank me later.
- Water bottle – you will need to drink a lot of water to get back on your feet and keep your milk supply up. Invest in a good water bottle so you can keep track of how much you are drinking.
- Bath herbs – After baby your whole body aches. You just went through one of the hardest things your body will ever do, of course it will ache afterward. I loved soaking in these bath herbs, they were great for helping me recoup.
- Tucks – This was a lifesaver for me. Even after the aches of childbirth wears off you can still be plagued with something much worse. Hemorrhoids. It is a very common condition for vaginal birth with all the pushing. This was something I wasn’t expecting at all after my first baby and I was shocked to see how many weeks I suffered. Do yourself a favor and grab these. Maybe even keep them in the fridge for the cooling sensation.
Are there any items that you couldn’t live without after baby? I would love to hear about them in the comments below.
Photography by Brittany Elise Photography