I am not the best in the kitchen. I have a few things that I can make really well but I probably got the recipe from a friend or Pinterest. With 3 young ones, I don’t have much time to be creative with recipes. It’s all about the chicken nuggets and mac n cheese most days. With that being said I have one recipe that is all my own, my French Toast Casserole, and my family requests it often. As I was browsing the aisles of Trader Joe’s I came across a loaf of Brioche and had an epiphany. I decided to tweak my favorite recipe and the outcome was fabulous. I not only changed the bread but also added Pumpkin, since I’m into all things pumpkin this time of year. That was when my delicious Pumpkin French Toast Casserole was born.
Since then I have been making it every fall. I absolutely love this recipe and if you don’t feel like the pumpkin flavor just removed the puree and the recipe is just as delicious.
Even the pickiest of eaters will love this for breakfast.
I hope you enjoy it, the family sure did.
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pumpkin spice, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup of pumpkin purée
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half (I use whole milk on days that I don't have it)
- 1 loaf brioche
- 1/2 lb butter, plus more for pan
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup chopped pecans (sometimes I leave it out for the kids)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Arrange brioche slices in a generously buttered 9X13 casserole dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice, and salt and whisk until blended.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350°. Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 45 minutes until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with your favorite maple syrup, but in my opinion, it's just as delicious without it.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, pecans, light corn syrup, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice in a medium bowl and blend well. Spread over bread as directed above.
If you would like more easy and delicious recipes be sure to check out my FOOD PAGE